Wednesday, July 12, 2006

whale sharks







one of the things that make this small honduran island of utila special is the whale shark.

it is nothing less than magnificient.

imagine swimming in open ocean water that drops to depths of 800 metres/2400 feet two miles offshore less than an arms length away from a 12 metre/40 foot long shark.

oh look, there's one now.

as you can see by looking at the tail, this one's been properly tagged and sampled by utila's own Whale Shark and Oceanic Research Center. (that's wsorc for those of you who are spelling impaired)

this one swam across my desk during my lunch break.

maybe i'm just not ready to stop drinking.

7 Comments:

Blogger girl said...

"oh look, there's one now."

Hee hee!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Sounds like you have been visiting Pigeon Falls -- at Dr. John's site. He has a problem with white rabbits in pink sweaters.

6:47 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

maybe you have the same drinking water as pigeon falls in Dr. John's back yard ;)

7:01 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

"this one swam across my desk during my lunch break.

maybe i'm just not ready to stop drinking."

Is this where the saying "he drinks like a fish..." came from?
I got here from Dr. John's -

7:32 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Dr. John sent me and I'll be back often to see if you are still drinking.

Love your site. I'm going to take the time to read earlier post.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Sent by Dr. John, a guy who randomly selcts blogs for his readers to leave comments on.
Hmmmmm....nice looking shark but I must tell you that unusual animals crossing desks are not all the uncommon here in the states. For instance, just this mornng a a pink elephant was seen in my computer armoire. Oh...wait.....no....I saw one on tv late last night. Never mind!

8:36 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

came from Dr John. It is nice the this whale shark is a small one.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home